Friday, March 2, 2012

The Entire NerdEmporium Fiasco

I no longer work for TheNerdEmporium.com not sure how old the guy running the site is but the following is the instant message exchange that went on between Kevin Perez and myself and the messages on facebook, the guy also went on a long tweet rampage and IP banned me from his website. Its what ever but I thought you my friends and for anyone searching for information on Kevin and his website should see this.

Brian McNail

If you don't mind me asking how many unique visitors does your site get daily?

Kevin Perez

Daily hits are hard to keep track of via my C-panel these days but monthly numbers are between 27 Mil (off season) & 75 mill (season). This month we broke 150 mil for offseason which means some of my promotional agreements are meeting their end.

Which sadly paycheck wise only equals to about $550 weekly for me in ad-revenue with a portion of that going back into the site.

Brian McNail

150 million people look at your site a month?

Kevin Perez
Yes did I stutter?

Brian McNail

No, I'm just shocked by the number. The counter for facebook/twitter shares don't reflect that high a number is all. I'd figure there would be more shares with such a high amount of traffic.

Kevin Perez

People don't share or like, common issue on more then just that site. Most visitors come to the site read the reviews/news ignore the share/like or add on button.
Same problem I've always had with the forums people come for the news updates/reviews read but don't interact. Ironically they only ReTweet on my account the news or worse yet click like on FB instead of the article.

Generally speaking I find the like & tweet button pointless. I just put them there just because every other site has one. G4TV has one and can't get any to use it either. Ironically if it's not happening on FB itself no one cares to click like.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had gone a few days being very ill and swamped with work and hadn't given Kevin any new material to post on his site following this conversation on 2/27. When I logged on to Facebook this morning I saw the following post by Kevin on his Facebook wall:

"It looks like the new staffer on TheNerdEmporium.com Brian already got burned out. No reviews this week at all from him. Not too surprised, people can't really keep up with the site or the amount of work I do in any given week. People always think it's so easy to do what I do...it's really not. Takes a lot of dedication & work. I didn't want to even write that last review tonight but I forced myself to. And I have carpal tunnel in both my wrist at this point from years of gaming & typing."

So I posted the following retort on my facebook wall:

I'll have something typed up over the weekend, but please remember I am an unpaid staff member that has a wife, kids, a job where I work 10 - 13 hours a day 5 days a week with a hectic travel schedule now being thrown in and have been fighting bronchitis that makes it so its uncomfortable to sit for more than 20 minutes without my chest feeling like its caving in. I have priorities and writing about a movie series thats been dead over 15 years isn't high on my list at the moment sorry if I've caused you any troubles but seeing how I gave you at 8 movie reviews and a news article for your site since I started 2 and a half weeks ago I think I've more than kept up a good quota of posts. Posts that you recieve compensation off of when people read my writings, just food for thought.

Sorry to put this out in the public but since you wanted to call me a burn out on your facebook wall figured turn about is fair paly. If you don't want me writing when I'm healthy and can focus on a movie and what I am typing then we can just part ways now and be done with it or you can allow me to get healthy and focus on what is actually important first.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A pretty innocent request in my book that hey I'm not getting paid and I've got a real life that pays the bills I can't be sitting around watching movies while I'm sick and working 13 hour work days. And yes there were responses from my friends on the matter telling me to quit blah blah blah but I never once said anything negative other than according to the Terms of Services (which I agreed to) anything I submitted that was hosted by Kevin and the TheNerdEmporium.com was their property and I was cool with that. I recieved the following from Kevin via message who then deleted me from facebook:



Are you fucking serious? Well let me do you a favor. I wouldn't want you to think "I'm mooching off your five reviews". I'll remove them from the site for you.
Another thing you seem to have a people problem. it's clearly obvious with the way you talk to people & address them. Case in point your rant a few days ago about Facebook. You may want to work on that in the future. Because the way you express yourself to others is the reflection of how they perceive you which is probably the reason why everyone was ignoring you.

Also logging on to twitter Mr. Excitement (no not Johnny Ace) tweeted the following (I combined all the tweets):

This dude just pulled a 7 year old act on FB. Because I noted he hadn't written anything on the site in like a week. At first he seemed cool with it & said he was sick. Then hours (try 5 minutes) later he post a FB Tag with me in it bashing me along with his friends It's like seriously who does that? Did you see this today on FB? @Wrestlezombie's apart rant about me where he proceeded to bash me along with his friends. All because I pointed out I hadn't seen a review from him in a week or so...yeah plus it's someone IDK, IRL. I find it funny how people run their mouth online because they're hidden behind the safety of a computer which they think gives them the right to slander people "anonymously" or "publicly" Ok time to pull down these five reviews, I didn't write. Better for me, I'll stop getting emailed as to why a crappy movie was well rated. Ok well those five reviews, I didn't write are now off the site. I wouldn't want to "profit off of them". #sarcasm #AreYouSeriousBro

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My retort is the same I gave to Mr. Perez on facebook in response to all of this. Though I find ironic he is always going off on old staff members to his website so apparently I'm not the only person to have issues with him:

Apparently you don't like being called out on facebook anymore than I did. You now know how it felt to be Pearl Harbored when you log on to face book. I gave you 7 movie reviews and a Smackdown review in the span of 9 days and then got sick. Instead of shooting me a message or an email asking if everything is okay you call me a burn out on facebook and toot your own horn about how you typed up this review with Carpal Tunnel in your wrists. If its been a week since I hadn't written a review for your site why was it still listed on the front page of your site you've had a couple of news articles on the main page, but as far as content articles you had a raw, smackdown, podcast and Maniac Cop 3 review and Hellraiser Bloodline.


Af far as the mooching thing I was trying to point out to you that I am an unpaid writer for your site and I have a real job and real family responsibilities that must come first. When you grow up a little bit and have an adult life outside of writing for your "Millions" of site visitors you'll understand these things a bit more. Also for the record I had a couple of friends that do internet advertisements ping your site and you have less than 2500 unique visitors a month but what ever. I knew you were full of shit with 125 million visitors when I looked and saw that both your twitter account and TNE twitter account each have only 300 people following you. Get over yourself and quit blowing smoke.

Also nice going with the IP ban and the shit talking on Twitter for the record I'd tell you the same thing to your face but geographically speaking thats not possible. I wasn't bashing you on my FB wall I was pointing out how it felt to see someone post about you without getting the whole information how would you have felt if I posted crap about your site to find out you were sick or something. If I was pissing and moaning that the stuff I submitted didn't get posted for a week and complained and went on a twitter/facebook rant only to find out you had some real shit go on in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment